Understanding where your food comes from, and how it is produced, can help reduce your impact on the environment. Look for sustainable seafood products next time you shop!
Here are some tips to help you make the right choices for yourself, your family, and the planet.
What Matters to You?
Supporting local producers
- Look for local or Canadian products.
- Order directly from producers.
- Ask grocers to carry local products in their stores.
Eating sustainable animal protein
- Shellfish don’t need to be fed, leave no carbon footprint, and help clean the water where they live.
- Fish are good at turning their feed into meat.
Eating sustainable greens
- Seaweed doesn’t need fertilizer; seaweed also helps clean the water, and creates habitats for marine life.
- Ask grocery stores to make seaweed products more available.
Protecting the environment
- Shellfish and seaweed clean the water.
- Seaweed captures carbon.
- Look for proof of environmental certification on labels. They can help you choose sustainable aquaculture and fisheries products.
When you think about the future of aquaculture, what do you see or imagine? The choices you make today will help shape the aquaculture of tomorrow.